Saturday 29 March 2014

Now in print.....

Well, the book is now out and I am quite pleased with the results. Please let me know if you are too!

However, despite continuous checking - and not just by me! - a number of errors have appeared and I would like to use this post to correct them.

Firstly, in the acknowledgements at the rear of the book, I failed to mention my gratitude to Geoff Gould and Alan Walker (my brother!) for allowing me unfettered access to the relevant parts of their photographic collections.

At the bottom of page 70 the photograph of the two Bristol VRX double deckers at Eastville is dated as the August Bank Holiday Monday 1972. Martin Curtis has pointed out, quite rightly, that on this particular day the two buses were at work on the Bristol to Weston super Mare service, where their 80-seat capacity would have been of great benefit, and this photograph is actually taken on the Bank Holiday Saturday.

The photograph of C6010 at the bottom of page 77 was in fact taken at Staple Hill depot, outbound for New Cheltenham, and not at New Cheltenham itself.

At the top of page 80 I have omitted the credit for this excellent photograph of 7294 at the Centre: it was kindly supplied to me by Graham Jones.

The eagle eyed of you may have noticed that the last photograph in the book, on page 92, does not match the caption! Allan Macfarlane has pointed out that the bus in the photograph is in fact 5068, MOU742R, and although the location is similar, it was taken in earlier in the year. This was an error on my part of including the wrong photograph in the final proof, and I post below the photograph that should have been there - in view of the similarities I hope that you will forgive the error!

Finally, although the captions for the front and rear covers were supplied to the publishers, they were omitted.

They are as follows:

Front cover (both photographs by the author)

(Top) "The accelerated conversion of Bristol city services to one man operation during the nineteen seventies resulted in a large number of two doorway Eastern Coach Works bodied Bristol RELL saloons joining the fleet. C1267, EAE683K, had a Gardner engine, rather than the more usual Leyland, it having been part of a diverted Western National order. Followed by a similar bus also on route 10 towards Knowle West, it negotiates Broadmead shopping centre, central Bristol, in February 1973."

(Bottom)"Even as Bristol KSW numbers in the fleet declined in the early nineteen seventies, some of the type could usually be found at Filton Church, north Bristol, especially at the time of shift changes at the nearby aero works. In this October 1972 view 1957 bus C8427, YHT923, passes C8376, WHW817, built the previous year, both of them operating works services to Lawrence Weston, west Bristol, albeit via different routes, whilst a third of the type is just in view behind."

Rear cover (photograph by Geoff Gould)

"This is the view that would have faced many Bristol city bus passengers had the Bristol VRL gone into full production, and Bristol's order for twenty-eight had been fulfilled. Instead, the two prototypes were acquired for operation on city services in 1970, but lasted only three years, proved to be unreliable and were always operated with a conductor. C5000, GGM431D, was the first prototype, was displayed on the Eastern Coach Works stand at the 1966 Commercial Motor Show and then sent to work with Central SMT in Scotland. It is seen climbing Allison Road, Brislington, in September 1972: the position of the off-side mounted in-line engine is clearly visible, as is the seepage of engine oil from the engine access panel".

So now it is over to you! Feel free to let me know your views (good or bad) and your own experiences and photographs of Bristol city services!




5 comments:

  1. An enjoyable addition to my BT&CC/BOC library.
    Although no longer resident in the Bristol area, I have been a keen follower of all matters "Bristol" since my early years when living in Filton and my father worked at the BAC. As well as travelling into the city, I spent a lot of time hanging around Filton Hill and the Patchway Bus Park identifying the then amazing collection of new and ancient buses that were used on works peak time specials ( not appreciating the complex patterns of rebuilds etc that accompanied the registration numbers). I think that the 1945 - 1955 period, coinciding with my childhood as it did, provided the golden years of bus interest, both city and country. Somewhat later in the mid 60's, I was to revive bus experiences as a student summer holiday conductor working out of Muller Road on two seasons masquerading as HH 30366. Some of the language used by my mentors was a little confusing, particularly when I was instructed to "change the vials" - Bristle for winding the destination linens!
    Anyway, glad to see some new (but not enough!) photos of those post war years. I have only the dimmest child memories of the Bedford OWBs and it does seem that there are not too many photos of them but pleased that you have included HHU 302 (C234) - although also seen in The Green Years. Otherwise I had only seen the HHU 299 photo in Allan Macfarlane's book and the Peter Davey shot of HHW 767 (261). That is until I came across by chance the splendid footage in the British Transport Film Collection - Reshaping BR - Work in Progress-Bristol - which has some wonderful minutes of arrivals and departures at Patchway Bus Park and Filton Church in 1949/50, including a brief glimpse of OWB HHW 764 (258), I think, apparently departing for Henleaze Lake on a workers' special. Was this a variation on the 142? I'd be keen to know if there are other photos of the country OWBs, as they personnify the pre and post 1945 austerity years.
    Otherwise keep up the good preservation work.
    Tony Robinson (colneis@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antony, Have we met? I'm also from Filton and went to school with Paul Robinson who lived in Boverton Road and had a brother called Ant(h)ony.Regards, Alan Smith.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Tony. I am sorry that I have only just read your comments - very lazy of me! I am glad you enjoyed the book and particularly the photographs: I was very lucky to have some good friends to call on for their photograph collection to be able to show so many views. There aren't many photos of the OWBs - it seems they lasted only about seven years. A friend of mine at school got himself a seasonal; job as a conductor - how I envied him! - but I went to work with my Dad at the "Smelting Works", and didn't get to conduct until the late sixties/early seventies when I was working in Old Market and the Centre as a schedules clerk.I relived the experience two weeks ago when I conducted at the Cheltenham Running Day - using class six vehicles and with real fares being taken - it made me realise how unfit I have become!

    Anyway, thank you for your comments and for buying the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Mike! I hope you're still connected to this blog! I have just finished reading an e-copy the book and thoroughly enjoyed it! Brought back many memories! Like Antony in the previous comment, I hail from Filton (Northville to be precise), perhaps I know him - I knew a Paul Robinson from Fulton who had a brother called Anthony, but not sure he was interested in BTCC - but now live in the south of Scotland. Still keen on all things BCV/ECW though so found the book a great read! Finally, have we met? I was a good friend of Angus Morton in the early 1970's and your name rings abell in connection with him. Did he introduce us? Anyway, thanks afin for a great book, Best Wishes! Alan Smith.

    ReplyDelete